Tuesday, August 11, 2009
Morning Routine
I've been thinking for a while about putting together a morning routine to follow; something that will help ease the transition between sleep and day; something that I can follow without thinking about it. I know some of the steps I'd like to include -- drinking water first thing in the morning, drinking my vitamins, taking my medicine, eating breakfast - b/c yes, believe it or not there are days when I forget or don't get around to eating breakfast! I'm wondering if any of my fellow CFSer - especially those with Lyme and/or lots of medications - have a particular ritual you follow. What the key to your success?
Labels:
CFS,
Lyme,
morning routine
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I, too, am starting to get into a routine. It is part of my following FlyLady (FlyLady.net). I found FlyLady when I was in the middle of my last pregnancy, 7 years ago. She helped me reclaim my life after the chaos of 4 months of relentless morning sickness. I stuck with her with great success until I came down with CFS. I am now feeling well enough to attempt it again! Modified, of course.
So -- here is my morning routine, done at a leisurely pace: Wake, have an electrolyte drink while I'm at the computer (that's where I am now!). Follow with breakfast. Shower and get dressed for the day. Brush my teeth and take supplements. Make my bed, read scriptures, say my prayers. Throw in a load of laundry. Make sure laundry is in dryer before my early rest time (11:30 am). Rest 1/2 hour, then fold dried clothes.
In the afternoon, I have to be flexible because of kids' schedules. The only other activities I add to the day are tidying 5 minutes in my office and about 5 minutes in the current "Zone" for the week (again FlyLady!). If I'm up to it, I'll make dinner. If not, the kids will!
Before bed, I'll brush my teeth and take my supplements. I'll read a book for awhile, and then I do some gentle yoga stretches before I go to sleep.
When the kids are back in school, I'm thinking of trying to add a miniscule amount of exercising, and I'd like to start writing regularly.
I agree - routine is so important to those of us with CFS (we're like toddlers in that respect!)
When I get up, I go in the bathroom, brush my teeth and wash my face (a recent study showed that rinsing your face and eyes with cold water helps to wake you up and remove grogginess). Sometimes I shower then, but sometimes I need food first. I drink some water and take my allergy pill, put in my contacts and head downstairs.
I have low blood sugar, like many people with CFS, and need to eat right away. My sons and I take our "before medicines" (those that work best on an empty stomach), eat breakfast, then take our after breakfast meds.
Morning for me is usually my best time, so I try to get stuff done. By lunchtime, I'm starting to wear out. More meds after lunch, then a nap - in bed, in a darkened room, for at least an hour - no exceptions ever! Even if I'm having a good day, my nap prevents a crash later. (rinse face with cold water again after!)
Afternoon is usually my worst time of day, so I try to take it easy, more meds before and after dinner. By 7 or 8 pm, I'm lying on the couch to read or watch TV - I've learned I need to take it easy at the end of the day. I try to get to bed by 10 pm (after more meds, of course).
Hope you find a routine that works for you!
Sue
Post a Comment