Sunday, June 28, 2009

Wow - it's been a crazy month!

Sometimes it doesn't take much to knock us off our rhythm. For me, that knock took up the whole month of June! We left in late May for two weeks in Texas, starting with my grandmother's 80th birthday party, then my brother's 30th birthday party, and some visiting in between at both my mom's and my dad's house. I know I wouldn't have much computer access during the trip, but what I didn't know is what would affect us all when we got home.

The trip was very relaxed. I had planned well, I think, and my family knows enough about my illness to allow me plenty of rest time. In addition, my fabulous husband is always reminding me to sit down, go lay down, go take a nap - or whatever he can perceive I need.

He came back home 5 days before littleA and I did, during which time we were at my mom's so I had plenty of help and ability to stay rested. The trip home with littleA by myself was exhausting! So, I took the weekend to recuperate and should have been back on my feet the following week sometime .... except!

On Tuesday, Mike came home from work not feeling well – said his stomach hurt. By noon littleA was throwing up – I immediately went in to nurse-mode. Both were up until 4am with upset tummies. I changed sheets, did laundry in the middle of the night … all those things that mommies do, all the time thanking God that I didn’t have this. I didn’t think I’d get it either since I never get sick beyond the Lyme and CFS …

Wednesday they were starting to get better, but still not well. It was a busy work day for me playing catch-up from vacation so I juggled watching them and working (ugh) – talk about no rest! Well, Thursday it all caught up with me and while the rest of the family was better, I was the one with the stomach virus … down & out until Saturday. Mike was good enough to stay home from work all week, even after he felt better, to watch littleA while I was sick.

It took a whole week, literally, to recover from what I call the “sick week”. I know I operated in post-exertional fatigue from the whole ordeal for at least another 5 days. The slightest effort and I’d be huffing and puffing, completely out of breath. We are all fully recovered and back to our own kind of normal, just in time to enjoy July and summer!

No comments: