Monday, October 11, 2010

Current Medications List

I've been getting a LOT of questions about which medications I'm taking.  The answer is pretty easy; one antibiotic for the Lyme, two prenatal vitamins & a low does aspirin for the pregnancy, one for thyroid and a handful of others for general health.

  1. Bicillin LA 4mL intramuscular injection 3x/wk for Lyme
  2. Levoxyl 100 mcg/day for thyroid
  3. Aspiring 81mg/day for pregnancy
  4. NatelleOne prenatal vitamin 1/day for pregnancy
  5. Folgard folic acid supplement 1/day for pregnancy
  6. Vitamin D drops 1,000 IU once/day for general health
  7. Vitamin B12 shots once/day for general health
  8. Digestive Enzymes 2 w/ every meal for general health
  9. Betain up to 6 w/ meals for digestion & general health
  10. Probiotics one/day for general health
The key (for me) to taking ~13 pills per day is to spread them out over all meals.  If I forget at one meal then I'll need to take fewer. (I start by cutting back the general health ones).  I also take as much as possible in non-pill form (vit D drops, vit B12 shots, Bicillin injections)

The second question I get the most is about prenatal vitamins and why I take a prescription one vs. an over-the-counter one.  The answer is simple, but three-fold:

First, over the counter supplements are not regulated by the FDA and as such one can never be guaranteed what's in them or if they are safe.  All prescriptions are regulated by the FDA and adhere to their strict guidelines.  When dealing with the health of a fetus, one can never be too careful.  

Second, it would take 3-4 different over-the-counter vitamins to get the equivalent of what's in one prescription prenatal vitamin.  Missing key nutrients can have drastic effects on the newborn, so I'd rather not take my chances.  When dealing with the health of a fetus, one can never be too careful.  

Third, prenatal vitamins are gentler on the stomach -- easier to swallow & less likely to cause upset.  For someone who already has trouble keeping pills down combined with the normal pregnancy tummy; I'm going with the gentler one that I'm sure to keep down and get the nutrients the baby needs.  When dealing with the health of a fetus, one can never be too careful.

It may seem like a lot to some, but to me it's worth it.  :)

2 comments:

Sue Jackson said...

Wow, 13 pills a day sounds great! I haven't counted mine that way, but I think I;m up to about 31 a day now with the Lyme meds. I'm so sick of swallowing pills!!

Glad you found a regimen that works for you.

Sue

Pamela said...

Sue, I remember when I had over 30 per day ... ugh. Sometimes I would be full of pill w/ no room for food, but w/o the food they were sure to upset my stomach so it was a vicious cycle. I'm really glad to be down to 13 :) (at least for now)