Did you see last week's episode of Private Practice? There was a gal with chronic pain who was pregnant; the pregnancy made the pain worse. It was so bad she wanted to terminate the pregnancy. Now at first, it was really easy to watch & say, "How can she do that?" But, very few people except us fellow PWC's can understand what constant chronic pain feels like. I've gone off my meds just to quit herxing for a day or two. I've been so sick of being nauseas that I've eaten things way off my diet just b/c it's the only thing that didn't want to make me hurl. Chronic pain/illness makes people do things they never dreamed they'd do.
While she was undergoing surgery, her husband mused about what she used to be like. She had sparkle, spunk, bubbles, personality. And everything changed when she got sick - she no longer smiled, she wouldn't let him touch her, she didn't want to go anywhere or do anything. Sound familiar? I know it does for me. He wondered how he could stay married to someone who wasn't whom he married in the first place. He even asked how long he should hang on, hoping for his wife back. The doctor's response blew me away for prime-time television. He said, "As long as you'd want her to wait for you."
Luckily, in this episode, she came out of surgery cured - yay! For those of us in real life, we live with this forever. And so do our spouses. I am constantly amazed & blessed by my husband who stands beside me everyday -- even though I am not the person he married. Even though my personality has changed. When he said, "for better or for worse, in sickness & in health" he really meant it.
10 comments:
Very thoughtful post, PJ. I like the doctor's response to the husband's question....and love the wedding picture!
I love the doctor's response. I know a lot of people whose significant other doesn't have the patience, or depth of love, to hang in there. I've been blessed with an amazing man who not only still loves me, but he loves me more. I can't imagine making it through the tough days ... and years ... without him.
Lovely post!
Can totally relate to that post! I can see and feel how stressed my hubby is all of the time and I hate it! Its hard on family! Nice pic!!
I completely get it! I wrote about marrying "for worse" recently. It's hard to understand if you haven't been there!
Such a great post, and a very poignant thought. Mike is a wonderful guy - you are BOTH lucky to have each other.
I did see that show - my husband and I watch every week. Pain's never been an issue for me (that's how I knew when I had Lyme - when my knees suddenly hurt), but I could certainly relate to that conversation with the husband.
Funny that I read this post today (because I'm so far behind on blogs!!) - because I've stumbled upon several resources for spouses of chronically ill just today. There's a new Facebook page for spouses of people with CFS and FM, and I just found this blog:
http://insicknessinhealth.blogspot.com/
I also read a blog post on a CFS blog by a woman whose husband is not at all supportive and says terrible things to her. I feel so fortunate to have a loving, supportive husband.
Good stuff. Thanks for the thoughtful post.
Sue
*waves* I hope you're doing well and that the pregnancy is going smoothly. Just thinking about ya!
I stumbled upon your blog. I have Lyme too and just wanted to say that I can totally relate. I'm thankful to have a husband who has stuck by my side and done all in his power to help me.
Beautiful, so beautiful. I'm glad you're blessed with such a wonderful, supportive partner. I know what a huge difference my husband makes in my quality of life, and I wish everyone who has these debilitating chronic illnesses could be as lucky as I am.
Funny. I watched that episode of Private Practice and envied that the woman got cured so easily. I don't remember registering the doctor's comment there, but I don't know if that's the brain fog or if I was too caught up in wishing I could be a character who comes through one of these medical procedurals and gets cured in an hour (of my awareness; I know the characters often are written to have suffered for years). Bonus points for getting cared for by such pretty medical staff. :-)
The thing is, though, that even physically healthy people grow and change. No one ever stays the same for years and years and decades. The key is to grow and change in compatible ways as we age, and getting lucky that we chose people of truly good character.
And you know what? Your husband is lucky to have you, too.
Heather (the one with Lyme) and Aviva - thanks for stopping by!
Shelli - thanks so much!
Post a Comment