Monday, June 6, 2011

5 Things I Learned Last Week

5 Things I Learned Last Week

Taking a cue from Jamee at "A New Kind of Normal" I'm looking at the upside of things!  Here are five things I learned last week.


    1.  We are blessed with a fantastic church family.  For the last month, since BabyN was born, we've had at least 2 meals a week delivered.   This week was Hubby's second week back at work, leaving me home full-time with both kids and the first week we haven't had any meals delivered.  It was so hard trying to get dinner on the table while holding a crying baby & keeping a 3-yr old entertained (I turned to my least favorite, the TV, to occupy LittleA (no judgments please).  Typically my last resort, I knew if I didn't do something to keep him busy for 15 minutes that none of us would eat!)  Regardless, it was such a HUGE blessing to have meals provided for the first few weeks and I'm so, so thankful!


    2.  My husband is a rock star.  I hear stories about other husbands/dads and it reinforces what a terrific catch I have!  He helps with every aspect of life - from doing dishes to changing diapers to taking the night shift with the baby so that I can sleep.
    (Hubby & BabyN)


    3.  Friends make life worthwhile.  I may not have any close friends, but the casual friends I have are pretty remarkable!  From watching Adam for a few hours so I can take a nap to scheduling a movie night for some much needed girl-time, friends make life so much more fun!  Not to mention that they understand all the ins & outs of staying home with 2 young kids.  :)

    (LittleA and BabyN)

    4.  Sometimes it's good enough is good enough.  Since I'm not getting much done these days, I'm having to cease being a perfectionist.  It's okay if the dishes are on the counter b/c the dishwasher is full.  It's okay if the clean laundry isn't folded & we have to dig through the basket of clean clothes to find something.  What's important is the two little guys I get to spend time with every day!


    5.  Savor every moment.  Don't take anything for granted.  When I moved away from home in my early 20's I always thought I'd move back to Texas eventually.  Then I fell in love, got married, started a life and the dream of moving closer to home faded.  My life is good and generally I'm okay with the decisions I've made in life (it doesn't pay to regret).  However, I must enjoy every second with my family since I don't seem them very much.  My mom wasn't able to come out for BabyN's birth b/c she has weekly chemo treatments.  I miss her -- and all the family -- every day that I raise my family without them.  All the parenting books say the way to cope with the second child is to solicit family to help -- let grandma hold the baby for an hour while you throw in some laundry, feed lunch to the older child or take a nap.  Well, I can't do that which makes every moment (even on the phone) all the more precious.  My aunt came out for the first week since my mom couldn't and I relished every minute!  Likewise, my dad & step-mom came out for a few days while I was in the hospital; how awesome that LittleA got to spend some time with them and that we had someone to watch him for our extended stay!
    (My dad & BabyN)

    3 comments:

    Shelli said...

    It's so nice that things are going better than expected for you! What a beautiful family you have. "Little" A looks so big now! Funny how families evolve. Hugs, and I hope you continue to do well.

    Julieslymediseasefight said...

    So glad things are going well! And yay for a helpful hubby!!

    Jamee said...

    Glad my post was able to help! Your boys are so adorable! I am lucky to have a rockstar husband too! They make such a difference! I hope things continue to go smoothly and that you can find a rhythm with both your boys!