I heard a quote the other day, "If you're unhappy with your life, you're not trusting God." Or something like that, I have to say as hard as things are with a 3 year old and a newborn, I'm very content with my life right now. Postpartum is an interesting time for a female -- it's a plethora of conflicting emotions. I've not yet figured out how I can feel content & bored, tired & wired, happy & sad all at the same time.
Part of me mourns the relationship I had with littleA. I miss the one-on-one time we had together. I know this is something every mom has experienced with the second kid, but I feel like I'm missing out on part of his life. On the other hand, this new little creature that's entered our family brings such joy. I can't wait to see the relationship between the brothers develop. I can't wait to watch babyN grow up.
All these confounded emotions are, no doubt, magnified by the sleep deprivation that's part of having a newborn. I must say, however, that it feels like a normal sleep deprivation. I had so prepared myself to have a herx or crash and haven't had anything resembling it yet (knock on wood fast!). Just normal tiredness. My hubby has been great! He doesn't sleep much, anyway, so he takes a shift every night so I can sleep - I still need to wake to nurse but he'll take over the burping, diapering, putting him back to bed so I can just nurse & rollover & go back to sleep. That helps make up for the loooong sleepless days. With two of them my days of napping are all in the past b/c getting them to sleep at the same night (outside of nighttime) seems impossible at this point.
Keeping up with the housework seems to be a thing of the past, too. I'm managing the laundry okay - but that's about it. The dishwasher is full & clean, so the dishes are in the sink until the dishwasher can be emptied and reloaded - it's a perpetual downward spiral! Forget about keeping the toys picked up or the mail organized.
So, life continues in a 'new kind of normal' way. I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop, in regards to my illness but so far and counting my blessings & enjoying the reprieve. I wonder if it's possible I could be in a remission of sorts? Any research out there on that? Meanwhile, my pacing skills are helpful as I've made that a general part of my life and so we just keep on trucking ..... :)
1 comment:
So very glad to hear how well things are going for you, PJ. These times go by in a blur that is for sure...praying for your health to stay strong, the bugs to be in remission and your whole family to be blessed over and over again!
Post a Comment