Monday, August 20, 2012

Just as You Are

You are beautiful just as you are.

I've been mulling this post over for a while & feel a strong need to write it.  I'm overwhelmed with the number of people who feel they need to change to conform to society's unrealistic expectations!  I have one friend who endlessly straightens her GORGEOUS curly hair.  She says "most people want soft curls"  or "you can't put curly hair in an up-do."  At first I thought she was young & would grow out of it, then I heard a similar comment from my mom & I realized it goes deeper than age & maturity.  It goes to how you see yourself & how God see you.  This is something I struggle with a lot.  I'm constantly wondering what other people are thinking.  Did I say the right thing?  Does so & so think I'm weird?  But none of it matter.  It only matters how God views you.  Did He think you screwed up?  Then it's something to address.

I am slowly learning this lesson and my LLMD helped a lot.  I constantly struggle with my weight due to my medical problems & hormonal imbalances.  At one point she looked at me & said, "focus on getting healthy & the weight will follow).  See, it's not about what I look like.  It's not about what society thinks.  It's about the inside.  How I feel,  How healthy I am.  How pure I am in God's sight.

God created you just as you are.  I wonder what he would think of what society has to say about His creation?  That His creation needs to be changed?  Or, does He think you are perfect?  Just as He created you?

I'm not saying we can't all do the best with what we've got.  Maximize those gorgeous curls He gave you.  Or play up that fantastic straight hair.  Emphasize those beautiful eyes or play up that pout.  God gave made all of us -- inside & out -- he's far more interested in the inside than the outside, but I don't think he wants you changing just to meet society's expectations.  Take care of his beautiful creation and focus on your walk with Him.  Take it from this spoonie mom who doesn't have time to slave in front of the mirror straightening her curls -- embracing them is so freeing!  And the confidence that comes from being who you are is beautiful!  Go be beautiful.

3 comments:

Renee said...

Great Post Pamela and one I needed to hear today ....to affirm what my girls and others have said to me...DON"T worry about the weight right now, just keep on getting healthy. Joel and I went on the paleo diet and at first we both lost weight...me 5lbs and Joel about the same. Then I stopped losing and he kept losing! I have tried for years to lose weight and used to try to eat very little food and still would not lose weight. So I have decided today to not weigh myself for a month....just monitor that I do not eat too many snacks or too much maple syrup/agave nectors and just focus on the healing...And the hair??? Mine is so thin on top and grey, but it is what it is! I am grateful to have what I have.
Your post hit home today, so thank you for writing it....

Heather said...

I love this Pamela. It's something I struggle with daily too and it is good for me to hear a friend remind me that I need to focus on the inside of me: healthy heart, healthy mind, healthy body, and forget what the world will continue to tell me I need to look like. Thanks for posting this - I'm so grateful for a friend like you who will remind me of this wisdom.

Jamee said...

Beautiful post! Thank you for sharing! I've been struggling with this a lot lately especially with the new humongous scar left behind from my most recent surgery! So glad I stopped by & read this!