Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Slap in the Face

Yesterday I was in line at Costco.  When I pulled into the parking lot it was so easy to get a parking spot that I thought, wow, 1:00 is the perfect time to come here!  I quickly did my shopping since I was without the kids, then I saw the lines.  CRAZY!  Where did all these people come from?  Did they come in while I was shopping because they surely weren't in the parking lot.  Maybe they all came in one car.  Anyway, I got in line & waited & waited & waited .....

Suddenly someone tapped my shoulder and asked if she could go in front of me because she only had one item.  As if!  How dare she?  I only had about 15 items in my cart; it's not like I was buying for a whole restaurant.  She could wait her turn like everyone else!  I responded that I was in a hurry b/c I needed to go get my kids but that she could go if she was quick.  (The whole put-out martyr routine).  But go ahead!  (argh).  (are you sending the need for an attitude check here?)

She quickly jumped ahead of me and proceeded to unload my cart onto the conveyor!  Then she offered me a pack of tortillas that she was buying: they come in 3 packs, they freeze really well, it takes her family forever to eat through all 3 packs.  She was so nice it completely popped the hot air out of my attitude balloon.  I tell you, I walked out of there completely blessed by this lady who dared to cut in front of me.  I was clearly the one with the problem, and even in my bad attitude could be blessed by the graciousness of someone.  Driving home I noticed I was less agitated by the construction & traffic.  I hummed along to the radio as I unpacked my groceries.  My whole day was completely transformed.

I feel like I need these spiritual awakenings more often than I get them b/c I seem to be walking around with a bad attitude most of the time.  It's amazing how one little thing can really turn around my whole day.  I may actual start praying for them :)

No comments: