I've done some research on disability insurance and find out that 1) it's not uncommon for Lyme claims to be denied b/c they're deemed a money pit. To paraphrase - they know a Lyme case can go on and on, whereas with say, a cancer case, they know the patient will eventually die. So, knowing that 98% of patients won't fight a denial, they automatically deny the claim as a cost-savings measure. So, three steps : one) find an advocate who knows the insurance business and can speak on my behalf. two) talk to my doctor -- luckily I have an appointment this Thursday! three) get an attorney -- not willing to go there yet, still just looking at my options.
Interestingly, the report from the insurance company cited my physical limitations (fatigue, joint pain, muscle pain) as not impacting a sedentary job and used my job title (Area Manager) and the state definition of an Area Manager to determine my job description -- of course not taking into consideration that I'm an Area Manager for a fitness company! Duh. Second, there were no mention of the cognitive impairments, which let me tell you, impact my job far more than the physical ones! Memory problems, getting overwhelmed, inability to concentrate or multi-task - these things are far more prohibitive to working full-time than fatigue and muscle & join pain!
So, I'm definitely trying to find an advocate who can work with the insurance company -- asked around at work and will do some more research. Then I have a dr appt Thurs, so maybe she knows ways around the system -- we'll see!
1 comment:
Ugh... I feel for you and hope you can find someone without the attorney route. I have another friend fighting Workmans Comp right now and HAD to get an attorney because they WC doctor deemed her "fit" to return to work (as a vet tech) when her ankle (which was broken) was showing no signs of healing! It seems to me that it would be easier for all involved just to pay valid claims without the run-around.
Post a Comment