Thursday, July 9, 2009

Update

In lieu of Thursday Thirteen this week, I'm giving an update on the new treatment protocol:

I went to the doctor on Monday to get my first penicillin shot. M went with me to learn the routine of how to give them. I got three shots that day ... vitamin B12, which I'll be giving myself everday, a B complex vitamin that I'll get once a week, and the penicillin which will be three times a week.

The B12 was first -- just under the skin in the stomach, no big deal. I can easily do this every day.

Next came the B complex -- a huge needle plunged straight into the thigh -- AWWW. Man did that hurt. I thought I was going to faint, literally. It continued to hurt for about 30 minutes. I was seeing spots, all hot & sweaty, and light-headed. Phew ... she said it would get better with practice and that the results would make it all worth while. Good thing it's only once a week! I will admit that for a few days I had energy out the bazoo ... almost normal (as normal as a Lyme/CFS'er can get, that is)

Last was the penicillin -- another huge needle in the upper back hip (or buttocks as the doctore calls it). Not so bad, really. I can take this three times a week. No anaphylactic shock either -- that's always a good thing. She gave me an epi-pen to keep just in case. The next day was another story, my glutes were so sore I could hardly walk. Yikes! I guess it's a small price to pay if it'll make me feel better. I've been waiting every since for the dreaded herx -- none. She did say it might come after the medicine gets built up in my body, so after a few shots.

Well, I haven't gotten to take anymore this wee b/c of drama with the pharmacist -- the pharmacist I usually use ... a very well known chain ... doesn't carry the syringes. They called my doctor; she called me back and said she prescribes these all the time with no problem. I should go to the pharmacy, get my prescription back, and take it to another pharmacy. So, M is on a mission to get them filled. Maybe the other well known chain will carry them .. bummer b/c it's not as close to my house, not where I get all my other prescriptions filled, and in a huge shopping center where parking is a nightmare! But ....

So, that's the update for now -- once I get fully on the protocol, I'll write more about the effects and if they are working.

Happy Thursday!

3 comments:

Renee said...

WOW All those shots. So glad you can do it. I tried B12 shots and they made me very anxious and my heart did a dance ...same thing happens with sublingual. No clue why. B12 should really help. Hope the Penc. works well for you too PJ
I also love the bellon button story with you sweet little guy! how cute!

Sue Jackson said...

Hi, Pam -

I'm still trying to catch up on blogs after my vacation (up to the L's now!).

Good luck with your new treatment protocol. I think you're very brave - I'm not sure I could give myself shots! Lots of CFS docs use the B shots, though - they're supposed to be pretty effective.

In my limited Lyme experience, I usually feel really great for a few days after I start abx - the herx comes after that good period for me.

I hope things go well for you and the new treatments work!

Sue

me/cfs warrior said...

Ouch! That B vitamin shot sounds so painful!

Hopefully you'll have improvement without the herx!