Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Tastes of Summer!

I love summer fruit.  We've been buying flats of strawberries on the street corner for $10.  Oh the things you make with delicious sweet strawberries! These babies taste to good there is no need for sugar - we eat most of them straight out of the box (after a good wash, of course).  However, I did do some recipe searching.





First up - Ice Cream!
Found this recipe online.  Made it the first time exactly as posted, then began to experiment.  Except for the first step macerating the strawberries, I replaced the remaining sugar with agave nectar for the sugar.  No problems there - would just recommend cutting down the amount slightly since agave is sweeter than sugar.
Strawberry Ice Cream Like Ben  and Jerry's. Photo by Columbus Foodie
Then I replaced the cream with 2% condensed milk.  Worked amazingly well, except I think I'll try it again using one cup plain Greek yogurt for a little more creaminess & some added nutrition (protein/probiotics).  Hubby and LittleA seem to like it no matter how I make it.  Next I think I'll try with peaches (yummm).



Summer Mixology!

I saw these posted on facebook and just had to try the strawberry-citrus cocktail since we had so many strawberries on hand.  Seriously, it tastes like summer in a glass!  I wasn't sure I'd like the mint & strawberry mixture but it was divine.  If you're one of the many chronics who doesn't tolerate alcohol, I think it would be equally summer delicious muddling the mint & strawberries & adding club soda or sparkling water in place of the vodka with a splash of orange juice for the citrus flavor.












Next Up: strawberry oat muffins (modified gluten-free, of course)

2 comments:

Sue Jackson said...

Mmmm...I love all the summer produce! We signed up for our local Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) farm this year and are loving it! Each week, we pick up fresh, organic veggies at the farm.

We missed local strawberries this year - they were in season here in June, when we were in California! And the California strawberries that are shipped cross-country are not very good. We do have some wonderful blueberries and peaches though!

Enjoy -

Sue

Julieslymediseasefight said...

Yum! I will have to alter the ice cream to be dairy free!!