Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Babesia

I've been putting off writing this post in hopes of thinking of a catchy title, but it's not coming to me so I'm going with plain & boring!  The long & short of it is, my joint pain is from Babesia, which was being held at bay by my antibiotics and came roaring back when we decreased them.  So ... I'm back on antibiotics which are helping the symptoms, but I can't undergo full treatment until I'm through breastfeeding the little one.

Part of my revelation came about when my insurance delayed renewing my azithromycin.  I was already down to one every 2 weeks for the Bicillin, but going without both for 2 weeks caused a flare up.  I finally got 4 more azithromycins and it backed off again.  So, LLMD put me on clarithromycin b/c I can get a month's worth without the insurance hassle, which is causing reflux in BabyN (ugh).  Not sure what we're going to do next.

3 comments:

Renee said...

Oh, sorry to hear this, PJ...Babesia is nasty and relentless! Have you thought about taking herbs for it? Joel and I both did well on herbs for this too...
Hope it settles down soon.

Pamela said...

Yes, Renee - that's what I need to do but I have to wait until I'm through breastfeeding. So, right now I'm weighing the pros & cons of nursing & trying to decide when to stop. I originally thought I'd nurse for a year, but since I can't treat good ol' Babs until I'm through, I may decide to stop sooner. I don't know - just trying to decide!

Sue Jackson said...

Oh, shoot...I'm very sorry to hear I was right about Lyme and co-infections causing your joint pain. I thought that might be the case. Rats. My son is suffering increased symptoms right now after stopping Flagyl this weekend because it was causing stomach cramps. The doctor called in a new Rx which should be ready today, and I'm hoping he'll get some relief, too.

As for nursing, I forgot how old your baby is now, but it's more than 3 months, right? I think you could stop nursing in good conscience, knowing you gave him a great start. They say the immunities and other benefits of breastfeeding are passed to the baby during the first 6-8 weeks. I know it's not ideal, but it's also to your baby's benefit for you to feel better!

Glad you are improving now.

Sue