Thursday, February 19, 2009

Brain Damage???

Got my neuropsychological report back ... not sure what to think! It starts out by saying, "Ms Root was pleasant, cooperative and hard working. It is m opinion that the results are an accurate reflection of her current level of functioning." Then it goes into a review of all the tests, saying I rank in the High Average range of intellectual functioning. She notes that my IQ has dropped from previous tests.

"Her Verbal Comprehension is in the High Average range. Her Perceptual Organization is higher, in the Superior range. However, her Working Memory index and her Processing Speed are her lowest scores."

" ... there is no problem with the Halstead Category Test, and Trailmaking A and B are Above Average."

"On the Tactual Performance Test, her overall time is Below Average. Her Memory and Localization are within normal limits. In addition, her dominant hand and non-dominant hand trials are Below Average. Her score on both-hands together is Average."

It goes on to outline some more tests. All of the motor tests are average or above average ... again noting the below average score on the TPT test. Then it gets real interesting:

"On the Purdue Pegboard Test, scores are significantly below those required to compete in any job requiring fine motor speed and dexterity. Fine motor speed and dexterity are required in most jobs in the national economy.

"On Story Learning, the ability to recall contextual verbal material, her score was Average. However, after a four hour delay, there is Mild Impairment.

"On Figural Learning, the ability to initially remember spatial configurations, is Mild to Moderately Impaired. After a four-hour delay, her score is Below Average."

And it gets better yet ....

"On the Thurstone Verbal Fluency Test, her T-score is Mild to Moderately Impaired using the Heaton norms. However, if you use the raw scores, she is below the cutoff for brain damage. So there is likely some problem in that area or the brain."

Did they just say Brain Damage??? Well, I've certainly noticed memory problems as well as word recall difficulty ... I guess this 'problem in that area of the brain' could explain it!

The report goes on to summarize that my aptitude is appropriate for my job as a Wellness Professional and that there is no evidence of malingering or poor effort - that my results indicate no obvious attempt to exaggerate or distort my problems, that my serious CFS limits ability to be the high-functioning person I was in the past and that these findings demonstrate problems in working memory and processing speed, which in addition to physical problems, impact my ability to function in the workplace.

So - take that insurance company! I sure hope this helps win my case!

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

Drain Bammage?

Remember: He is always there.

Sue Jackson said...

Wow, I've never had full cognitive testing like that. It sounds fascinating. I haven't had serious cognitive dysfunction with CFS, but I definitely have trouble with word-finding (there's a term for that...).

Your CFS began with Lyme, right? Lyme is known to cause pretty serious neurological damage over time, so that's a double-whammy.

Are you still being treated for Lyme or is that over now?

Sounds like you certainly have the back-up information you need for the insurance company!

Enjoy the weekend -

Sue

Paula said...

PJ- how did you every make it through all that testing?? I can't even get through the disability paperwork. I really do feel as though I have brain damage at times. It is very frustrating. I have a feeling that my employer is going to have me tested in the same way. I'll be laying on the floor- I can see it now. LOL

Pamela said...

Sue~
Yes, my CFS began with Lyme so double whammy indeed! I'm still being treated for Lyme -- been on antibiotics for 18 months -- thought I was done this past summer, but when I went off the antibiotics the symptoms returned so am back on another course. ugh. but I know I'll get there! Thanks for the comments; hope you had a good weekend!
~Pamela

Pamela said...

Paula~
I just did it day by day ... two days one week and two days the next. The paperwork is super confusing for me, but I have a lawyer who is fighting my case -- that helps a lot! And for the instructions to prepare for the test, I had my husband help interpret for me. Be prepared -- you prob will be lying on the floor :) It certainly wiped me out for a few days afterwards!
Best of luck,
~Pamela (PJ)