Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Happiness Catch-Up

I recently talked to a friend who had been to a women's retreat; they were working through something called the Four Agreements.  I don't know a lot about it, but it reminded me quite a bit of the Happiness Project.  As we talked about things in our life; things we wanted to change or better a few realizations hit me!

One of the Happiness Projects weekly topics was on expectations - or rather not having expectations of people.  I've realized that while I have expectations of my husband which can frequently make me unhappy (like expecting him to do the dishes, or expecting him to help get littleA to bed, etc.) most of the expectations I have of people are negative ones!  I expect people to let me down.  I expect people to react wrongly.  And it sets me up to be unhappy.  No expectations would be so much easier than brooding over something that might not even happen!  So much easier than worrying about what so&so might say or do when she disapproves of something I said or did.  Not to mention - who cares what so&so thinks anyway!!!  My husband always reminds me that it's only what God thinks that matters, I'm still working on that one.  When I finally get that concept into my brain I'll really be happy, I know it.

We also talked about being cognizant of what we say (& how we say it) in front of our children.  LittleA's getting to the age where he really understands & repeats everything.  So, while venting to a friend may make me feel better, I need to make sure to do it out of ear reach of littleA.

So, my resolutions for this week are:

  • Sing in the morning to set a cheery tone for the day
  • Make an effort not to talk in a 'mean' voice
  • Touch everyone in my house affectionately every day
  • Give my husband a real good-bye kiss

No comments: