Monday, March 8, 2010

Napping


Lately I've been having trouble napping.  Sometimes it's b/c littleA doesn't take a good nap, sometimes it's b/c there is something going on at the house (workers in the yard, for instance) & sometimes it's b/c I just lay there not able to sleep.  It seems when I most need a nap is when I'm most unable to fall asleep.  Sometimes my mind runs amuck with things I need to do; other times I just lay there with a blank mind but still unable to fall asleep so that I eventually just get up & do something -- or just turn on the tv (if littleA is asleep).  Any tips for making nap times work?  I've tried eye patches to block out light, white noise to drown out sounds but still no luck.

6 comments:

Sue Jackson said...

My after-lunch naps are sacred!! I've learned that without a solid nap, I feel awful by late afternoon. Here's what I do to ensure a good nap:

- An extra pair of warm socks - research shows you sleep better with warm feet
- Ear plugs if anyone else is home or it's noisy outside
- Eyemask - darkness helps me a LOT. I actually find a real eyemask uncomfortable, so I place a soft dark sock over my eyes!
- A note on my door not to ring the bell! The UPS guys shows up right in the middle of my nap - he knows now not to ring.
- I take 2 Valerian before my nap. Valerian is a very mild herb that makes you feel mildly sleepy, kind of like chamomile tea (which would also work before a nap).

Of course, sometimes, the more you need to sleep,the harder it is to sleep - one of the paradoxes of CFS - but these things all really help me. I'm almost always able to fall asleep.

Sue

Shelli said...

I get two rests in during the day, once in the late morning, and once in the afternoon. I let my body decide how long it needs, from 1/2 hour to about 2 hours. I rarely actually sleep during my rests. I always wear a sleep mask, just to keep my eyes closed. I have a relaxation CD I listen to. I usually do some deep breathing and relaxation exercises. Sometimes I'll do meditations to help my mind calm down. Whether I fall asleep or not, I feel the rests are really helpful.

Renee said...

I do what Shelli does...cds to relax and often they cause me to sleep. I lay down 1-3 hrs a day with silence or cds. Practice deep breathing...lately my mind is on the negatives so I have been actually naming my blessings until I fall asleep at night and during the day try to avoid thinknig too much :)
Some days are better than others.
I heat up a rice sock and warm my feet each day as it helps warm my whole body...Sometimes reading helps too...

Lori P said...

Love the picture and I know what you mean. If I lie down for a nap - I get nothing.

Thanks for your comment about the celiac. It was very helpful.

Sue Jackson said...

Hi, PJ -

I hope you're having more luck with your naps this week!

I have given you The Happiness Award in honor of your happy spirit and focus on joy in life. Your commitment to your Happiness Project has inspired me! Check out the award at:

http://livewithcfs.blogspot.com/2010/03/happiness-award.html

Sue

Jen Mc. said...

Love the kitten picture! And I wish I had something helpful to contribute, but in this season of motherhood naps are a dream come true- and often wishful thinking. :)