Thursday, July 22, 2010

Confessions of a Beauty Product Junkie

I admit it!  I love beauty products.  My whole life I have bought in hook, line & sinker to the marketing.  When I set out to rid my house of products containing fragrance and chemicals I realized how much junk I had accumulated!  I set aside a whole bag of sealed, unopened products for a local charity.  Then I organized everything in to boxes.  One for shampoo & conditioner, one for hair styling products, one for face care items (eye cream, serum, night cream, etc.), one for body items (soap, lotion, etc.), one for perfumes & colognes, one for baby products and one for Miscellaneous.  That's right -- 7 boxes!  


Now I'm trying to find acceptable replacement products.  I found a nice eye cream at Whole Foods made by Kiss My Face.  I'm using the Deep Cleansing Oil from DHC to wash my face.  Got some great hand & body cream from Trader Joe's.  I'm still on the lookout for day lotion with sunscreen (Dermologica has one I might try) and some night creme (Burt's Bees & The Body Shop both have a possibility).  

The challenge is finding products that are chemical and fragrance free (I'm using the skin deep website & buying only those that rate Green) as well as gluten-free.  I got excited when L'Occitane's Shea Comforting Mask was rated green, only to read the ingredients -- Wheat Protein.  So, the search continues.

2 comments:

Shelli said...

Good thing you're a natural beauty and don't need seven boxes of stuff to keep it up!

Renee said...

Good for you! I am still trying to find a shampoo that does not cause me more scalp problems...I am trying goat's milk soap as soon as it arrives...I use coconut oil for my skin...