We've got a lot going on at our household - which leaves me pooped, of course! Normal for the course, whether during pregnancy, Lyme, CFS, or other illnesses. As I've stated so many times before, I've felt amazingly fantastic during these past 7 months -- can you believe it's been 7 months??? I can hardly believe myself that I'm 7 months pregnant. anyway, I digress.... But, as is par for the course with anything health related & me -- I was recently diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes. As one friend said, "Just what you need is one more thing to deal with," and as another friend put it, "Well, you didn't really think your body would let you get the whole way through the pregnancy without something, did you?" The latter has a point. I've avoided many of the common Lyme pitfalls during pregnancy and except for the December - January low point, I seem to be doing better (new antbx is helping, I'm sure).
The good news is - that it's really not all that hard. I read labels anyway b/c of the Celiac Disease AND it's forcing me to eat a Lyme better diet (which may be partly why I'm feeling better, not just the antbx). Since I take my blood sugar after every meal, it keeps me pretty honest! I had some instant oatmeal this morning for breakfast and my blood sugar reading was over 200. With a reading like that, there is no excuse to make the same mistake twice -- even when in a hurry.
I bought 2 boxes of Think Thin bars -- which are protein bars that are low sugar and gluten free. Most balance bars and other protein type bars are not gluten free and are loaded with sugar, but these are actually real food. So, I keep a couple around -- in the car, in my purse, etc. so I always have a snack with me. I find myself eating a lot of nuts, too. Since calories are not an issue for me at this point (go pregnancy!), nuts are the perfect calorie dense, low carb snack. Greek yogurt is another lifesaver. Since I'm not supposed to eat dairy or fruit with meals, greek yogurt & a piece of fruit make the perfect snack and ensure that I maintain my dairy & fruit intake.
So, as with everything -- there appears to be a silver lining. In this case, accountability :) Now it we could just get everything done around the house before the main one holding us accountable arrives!
2 comments:
Glad to hear things are going well for you, PJ even with the gest. diabetes...I am going to look into the Think Think bars....might work here!
Renee~ You made me realize a typo -- it's Think Thin bars. Here's a link to the website. good luck finding them; I get them at Whole Foods!
http://www.thinkproducts.com/2011/
Post a Comment