Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Washing out the 'Smell'

Any laundry advice out there?  I love hand-me-downs.  Think they are great!  Why buy clothes that are only going to last a short while when you can use some someone else already bough?  Especially when it comes to kids clothes & maternity clothes.  Here's the catch.  I've never received any clothes that haven't been washed in scented detergent/fabric softener.  So - how do you get rid of the smell?

I just received TWO big batches of maternity clothes.  Here's the process I followed, but I still can't wear them! Wash in deep clean STEAM cycle with detergent & vinegar - twice.  Hang out to dry.  Steam dry.  Still smelly so I followed this with a SOAK cycle using OxiClean free, baking soda & vinegar & hung out to dry.  The clothes are still outside - at this point I don't even want to bring them in until I know something else to do.

I thought the double vinegar washing, baking soda soaking, hanging outside twice & a steam treatment would surely take the smell out, but no .... So -- any secrets out there?  I've read a lot about boiling, borax & other ideas - including 20-30 washes (yikes!), but wondered if any of you have something tried & true.

For new clothes, I seem to have no problems with a vinegar washing/baking soda soak followed by hanging out to dry & a steam dry, so it's surely something that gets deposited in the clothes when washed over & over in fabric softener.

At this point I'll try anything.  Or - just hand them to someone else .... {sigh}

2 comments:

Renee said...

Wow
I can't think of another thing to do with them. When I get something new we soak them in vinegar and water for a few hours and sometimes a second time in baking soda...and wash several times before wearing them.
I know my daughter's smells never come out either...It is amazing isn't it.

Pamela said...

I just read about trying 'soap' as opposed to detergent, so I'm going to try Castile Soap folllowed with a clean rinse & air dry. Will let you know!

Renee~ Do you allow your daughter in your house? Does she contaminate your furniture? Can you be around her at all? What's a gracious way to handle this for guests???