Thursday, April 2, 2009

Why can't we all just get along?

Another beautiful sunny spring afternoon in California: littleA and I really want to go to the park and yet there's no where to go! Last week I had walked Maddie and littleA down to the local park. I tied Maddie up to the stroller while I was playing with A on the swing. Fully aware that not all kids like dogs, I made sure she was out pretty far in the grass - away from the playground. Nevertheless, one of the mothers was not comfortable so we left before we would have liked.

Earlier this week, I decided to take A to the park again. This time we walked down there without Maddie. LittleA and I were playing on the swing, the slide and his favorite - the caterpillar tunnel when he crawled into some middle-schoolers doing inappropriate things in the tunnel! Needless to say, I was a little shook up. These are just kids themselves after all! And this is a children's park! If they are going to engage in adult behavior, they should at least know better than to do it in public where small children can spot them. I was at least glad that Adam is still too young to really notice and ask questions!

So, today when we wanted to enjoy the sunshine and socialize a little I decided we'd try the dog park where Maddie and I used to go before we had a little human. Knowing that not all dogs are familiar with kids and that not all dog owners are responsible, I was very careful to keep a close eye on A. If a dog came over to say hi, I'd pick him up to minimize any risk and, for the most part, we tried to stay away from the pack (it's a huge park). It wasn't very full in the middle of the afternoon (only 4 other dogs) and Maddie usually likes to run around on her own, anyway, so staying in a far corner wasn't a problem.

Then one of the owners came over -- she didn't like that A was holding a ball. She was afraid one of the dogs might try to take it away from him. I appreciate her concern, I really do, and I thanked her for it. But we were at least a football field away from any of the other dogs and at the moment they were all playing with other balls/toys. If they started to head our way, I would have picked him up ... as I had been doing. Alas, I do see her point so I directed A away from the ball, to which he pitched a fit.

I put him down and a dog came over to say hi ... I was right there to be safe and his owner suggested that his dog thought he was a playmate his own size and that I should hold him. Recognizing that he had a good point, I picked him up and A started screaming.

Under his breath, but loud enough that I'd be certain to hear, another owner said that the baby's crying was upsetting the dogs and that I should leave. So even after paying $6 to get in, we left after only 15 minutes. Neither A nor Maddie wanted to leave -- both were having a doggone good time and as far as I could tell it seemed perfectly safe except for the meddling owners.

Seriously, what's a mom with a dog to do? You can't take the dog to the kids park, you can't even take your kids to the kids park and you can't take your kids to the dog park. You can't leave your kids at home to socialize and exercise your dog. And even though you can leave your dog at home, she still needs exercise & socialization -- and even if you do the kids park isn't really safe for kids.

Honestly, someone should create a dog-friendly kid park (or a kid-friendly dog park) where responsible owners/parents who understand both can enjoy the sunshine. Where dogs who are good with kids and kids who understand dogs can all get along.

1 comment:

Shelli said...

I think you were remarkably polite in face of remarkable rudeness! My theory is that you are responsible for your child and your dog. Every other person is responsible for their own child and/or dog. If everyone is responsible, no problem! It sounds more like you were taking on responsibility for EVERYONE at the park -- no fair!

Don't let other people do that to you. Don't worry about what they are thinking -- it's not like it's your mother-in-law!