Monday, May 11, 2009

Bring on the Rain

I was thinking over Sue's post "How did I get Here?" (it really struck a chord with me); thinking about how illogical it all is.

Now, I have to be careful b/c I can get myself into a self pity funk pretty quickly if I'm not careful, but I allowed myself to dwell on this one and let God speak to me -- I think what I discovered is pretty profound.

I had the opportunity to go to the Christian Music Spring Festival this weekend with Lincoln Brewster, Mercy Me and Switchfoot. They were all fantastic, but one song by Mercy Me in particular really spoke to me. First of all, hearing the songs performed by the original artists is always so amazing. Many of these songs we know b/c we sing them in church, but hearing it from the lips of the songwriter really gives it the meaning He intended when writing it.

God is bigger than all of us and He wants all the glory. Sometimes that means He'll allow us to go through things when the end game is to His glory. When we look at it in that perspective, all the stuff we go through takes on a new meaning. Suddenly cancer has a new meaning. The loss of a loved one has a new meaning. This sickness that doesn't seem to have a cure has a new meaning. It's all for God's Glory.

I always pray for this to go away. To be healed so that I can complete what God has planned for me. Never once did I even think that this might be part of His plan. That He's using it to further His goal. That the point of the illness is to bring God Glory ... In that perspective, Bring on the Rain! Bring me anything that brings God's glory. I know there'll be days when this life brings me pain, but if that's what it takes to praise Jesus, then bring the rain I am His regardless of the dark clouds that may loom above, because He is so much greater than my pain. He made a way for me by suffering His destiny. So tell me what's a little rain? (complete lyrics below):


I can count a million times
People asking me how I
Can praise You with all that I've gone through
The question just amazes me
Can circumstances possibly
Change who I forever am in You
Maybe since my life was changed
Long before these rainy days
It's never really ever crossed my mind
To turn my back on you, oh Lord
My only shelter from the storm
But instead I draw closer through these times
So I pray
Bring me joy, bring me peace
Bring the chance to be free
Bring me anything that brings You glory
And I know there'll be days
When this life brings me pain
But if that's what it takes to praise You
Jesus, bring the rain
I am Yours regardless of
The dark clouds that may loom above
Because You are much greater than my pain
You who made a way for me
By suffering Your destiny
So tell me what's a little rain
So I pray
Holy, holy, holy
Is the Lord God Almighty

3 comments:

Sue Jackson said...

I'm glad my post struck a chord with you, and that you found some peace and meaning.

I sometimes think something similar - that maybe all of this has happened for a reason, that perhaps this is my real purpose in life - to go through this and to help my kids and maybe to be able to help other people, too.

It's certainly a better train of thought than thinking it's all random and meaningless. isn't it?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Sue

Shelli said...

One of my favorite hymns says, "Nearer, my God, to thee,
Nearer to thee!
E’en though it be a cross
That raiseth me."

To me, it means that this is for my good, to bring me closer to and more like God. I am amazed at the things I learn through this trial that never would have been revealed to me otherwise. I think that this is His plan for me, and that maybe the direction I had been heading in was more my plan than his.

Like Sue says, it is something to hang on to!

Renee said...

I am really touched by your post PJ and it is speaking to me as a reminder of all that I do and say AND don't do....is for God's glory.
I know that "all things work together for good" according to God's purpose and plan. I am much closer to God and my relationship with Him is deeper because of my need to depend on Him for strength.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts...your faith is a witness for all of us.