Throughout the month of May I've been telling my health journey. The first installment was on PCOS. The second part was on Celiac Disease. The final chapter - which is really the beginning of my journey - is on Lyme Disease.
So you may remember that I met my current doctor seeking treatment for PCOS. Actually, at that time there were many things going on -- I had uncontrolled Celiac and PCOS. I was tired a lot, missing work & just generally run down. I found my doctor's name on a PCOS website and called to schedule an appointment. Before the appointment her office sent me this loooong form to fill out with all kinds of crazy questions like, "do you have a bump on the back of your neck" and "Do you have ringing in your ears." Believe it or not, it's from some of these unknown symptoms that I wouldn't even have known to report that she knew to test me for Lyme. She submitted me to a battery of tests --- tubes & tubes of blood. I was truly a pin cushion! When she sent me to Igenex for a Lyme test, I thought she was ruling it out. It never crossed my mind that I'd actually have Lyme -- then my test came back positive.
Lyme tests are funny. They almost never come back positive - even when you do have Lyme. A false negative is common, but a positive is a sure fire way to know that it's in the system. She immediately started me on antiobiotic and herbal treatments, started allergy testing to support my immune system and had me take bazillions of nutritional supplements. She also did testing to confirm PCOS and Celiac and started me on treatments for them straight away,
I filed for short-term disability from work - and boy was I glad. Once I started herxing I was sick, sick, sick. Just looking back at some of my posts like Cheater, Cheater Pumpkin Eater and Let Them Eat Cake gives an idea of how sick I was. It very much reminded me of how my aunt felt with her chemo treatments and how my step-dad felt with his radiation treatments. Each treatment made me sicker & sicker as the bacteria died off and released their toxins into my body. Some days I would get up, take a shower & go back to bed for a nap. Other days I might venture out of the house to go for an easy swim or to fill a prescription. My husband and I were living in a small condo just the two of us so he'd come home from work to cook dinner and take care of me. A lot for newlyweds and he really showed his fabulous true colors during that time!
A few months into treatment, we took a vacation ... a cruise to Alaska. I have to say I don't remember much except how bad I felt, but I was glad to get to see such beautiful country and a cruise seemed to perfect way to travel. I hadn't developed MCS yet (or I didn't know it) so I wasn't worried about staying in an unfamiliar room so a cruise was a gentle relaxing way to explore. We took a couple of excursions for which I saved up my energy and had a great time. At that same time we bought a house and shortly began a major renovation. I had started back to work part-time and thought I was getting better. My herxes were a pretty predictable 4-weeks apart so I could plan out work and house stuff fairly well. My stamina was coming back and in general I thought life looked up.
Then things just dragged ... it seemed I didn't get better. Shortly later I was found out I had Dysautonomia or CFIDS. Dysautonomia (autonomic dysfunction) is a broad term that describes any disease or malfunction of the autonomic nervous system that usually applies for Lyme patients. It's how I got connected with some CFS folks and started to think about my energy envelope, the spoon theory and other coping strategies. I underwent a test at The University of the Pacific that revealed my severe post exertional fatigue. I found out that after too much exercise my anaerobic thresh-hold (AT) drops to 117 and was advised to keep my heart rate below 117. I heeded (and still do) this advice, but I think it's the one thing that's made me weaker. I have fewer crashes b/c I'm not overdoing it as much -- but my overall stamina has decreased so much that less and less causes me to crash. I'm at a total loss on how to increase it back up -- especially with all the life changes. But ... that's another post :)
I also underwent a Neuropsychological exam that revealed my chemical sensitivities as well as some possible brain damage due to the Lyme. For a great explanation of MCS and how one person lives with it, check out Renee's Reflections. I can learn a lot from Renee on managing my MCS ... I take a little note of it but not a lot. (For instance, I use unscented products in my home,stopped using scented body wash or perfume, etc.) Even paying a little attention - combined with the Lyme treatments, has lessened my mood swings and my anger but maybe if I were more careful - as she is - then I'd really feel better.
Here we are 3 years after my diagnosis. Most of that time I continued to work about 10 hours per week until about six months ago when I quit my job for good. I decided that I wasn't going to get any better as long as I was torn between work, family & health. To this day I maintain that it's the single best thing I did for myself (second to treatment, of course). I immediately took a turn for the better and until my recent crash thought I was on the uphill. I know with work & time I'll continue to make improvements ... it's an uphill battle and my cyber-friends help me out every step of the way.
9 comments:
Hey, Thanks for the shout out..!
I have enjoyed reading this ~ gave me an idea of how you started your treatment with Lyme, etc.
I have a question for you ~ the 31 Lyme Facts you wrote~ my husband would like to make a printed copy for church..to educate, etc. Are you all right with that? Would you want us put your name at the bottom or initials for crediting this work? If you are NOT okay with this that is fine too...Let me know...thanks~ It is impressive work PJ..
Renee, yes, please use them to educate! I need absolutely no credit b/c I pulled them all from other sources and should have thought to cite them. (lyme brain at its best) I have them in a Word document if you'd like me to email it to you, or you can just pull from the blog :) Use as you deem effective!
Wow, what a story, PJ.
Any idea how long you had Lyme before being diagnosed? Must have been a while to have such long-term, severe herxes, huh?
I'm also curious whether you have any Lyme co-infections.
I didn't realize you were dealing with such a wide variety of ailments. You're a strong woman.
Thanks for sharing your story.
Sue
P.S. You're not alone - did you know that between 10-12% of all people who get Lyme go on to develop CFS? It's one of several known triggering infections. We're fairly certain that was the trigger for my older son's CFS, too (he's had Lyme at least twice before).
Sue
Sue~ I'm really not sure how long I had Lyme, but I do suspect it was a long time. I just stopped herxing about 6 months ago (but if I go off antibiotics for an extended period of time I'll still herx)
I do believe I have co-infections also, although my tests for those came back negative. Most specifically my doc suspects Babesiosa due to the classic stiff neck.
I'm surprised at how many Lymies are still mega active! It always takes me back a little, so thanks for your reminder that it's not just me! :) 10-15% that's pretty high!
Hi! I just found your blog and I loved reading it. I was curious about the neuropsych exam that you had that revealed MCS. I have extreme MCS and bascially live in a bubble world...can't leave my house except for appts and those are tough to get through. In my opinion it is caused by Lyme Disease. Oh, I have PCOS too! It seems like Lyme is the culprit for a lot of these issues. I didn't know there was a test out there that could show evidence of MCS. I would love to hear about it if you wouldn't mind sharing. I am in the process of trying to file for disability. I know it's a long shot, but I thought I would try! :) I have a blog also...it's http://briandawndenio.blogspot.com/Feel free to check it out! Blessings to you! :)
WOW Pamela, what a story! You are helping so many people by sharing all this information.
Brian & Dawn, thanks for stopping by! I can't wait to check out your blog. I had an exam from a neuropsychologist; maybe you can look for one in your area? My primary care referred me to her. I'm not sure if MCS normally falls under the neuropsych category or if she was sensitive to it since she has it also. Anyway, she had me do a battery of tests relatively unrelated to MCS, but I also answered a questionnaire about how I felt when exposed to certain chemicals ... I was pretty clueless until then. I found it quite insightful! Hope you find some luck in that area, too :)
I am so sorry you have to deal with Lyme disease. Thanks for sharing information and your experience, you are helping people.
God Bless
Post a Comment