The other night Adam left his boots outside. He brought them in the next morning and this is what I found:
Yucko! Don't you know, given my Lyme history, that I freaked out?!?!? I immediately put him in the shower with a full body tick check. Put his clothes in the dryer on HIGH for 30 minutes to kill any ticks that might be on them. And, wouldn't let him outside all day.
So ... we've always done a bit of tick prevention, but now we're hard core about it:
We continue treat out pets monthly with Frontline to kill any fleas & ticks they may pick up.
Hubby sprayed the yard with EcoSMART to kill the ticks in the yard.
We use insect repellent when outside -- right now I use the OFF! brand Family Care towelettes. They contain less than 10% DEET (recommended for children over 2 months old). Adults are supposed to use 12-15% DEET, but I use the same towelettes as Adam since I'm sensitive to chemicals & such. So far, we haven't found any ticks on our bodies.


3 comments:
This is frightening! Wow! I have never seen so many....
Great prevention...we do the same for our dog...I do not go in the yard, and Joel checks for ticks after he has been there....I react badly to the chemicals so we cannot use them for spraying yard, etc. It is scary.
Very frightening, Renee! The spray Mike used was non-toxic; safe for kids & pets ... made out of garlic & pepper. I still stayed inside just to be sure. Used the front door for a day until I felt more confident it wasn't going to make me crash! Everything I've read says ticks don't like manicured lawns and that they won't cross a rocky path to get to the grass, but apparently they did b/c we have a decomposed granite path all around the lawn. so much for the experts. I'm just glad Adam didn't get bit! We're hyper vigilant now, that's for sure. It's bad enough having one of us down with Lyme. :(
I didnt know you could spray the yard for ticks! Guess what I am buying tonight!! Thanks for the info!
Post a Comment