If you haven't seen this meme, head on over to Graceful Agony; where I picked it up. It's designed to promote Invisible Illness Week. I hope to read your answers, too!
30 Things About My Invisible Illness You May Not Know
1. The illness(es) I live with is:
It’s complicated; it can probably all by summed up by saying ‘Lyme Disease’ but it’s so much more than that, including multiple co-infections, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, polycystic ovarian syndrome, dysautonomis, multiple chemical sensitivities, and celiac disease
It’s complicated; it can probably all by summed up by saying ‘Lyme Disease’ but it’s so much more than that, including multiple co-infections, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, polycystic ovarian syndrome, dysautonomis, multiple chemical sensitivities, and celiac disease
2. I was diagnosed with it in the year:
Celiac was diagnosed in 2002; Lyme in 2008 and everything else in 2009
3. But I had symptoms since:
the late 1990’s with a gradual onset
4. The biggest adjustment I’ve had to make is:
Slowing down! I can no longer go, go, go non-stop.
Slowing down! I can no longer go, go, go non-stop.
5. Most people assume:
That they know what fatigue is and/or if I’d just exercise I’d feel better.
That they know what fatigue is and/or if I’d just exercise I’d feel better.
6. The hardest part about mornings are:
Waking up! No, not really; mornings are my best timeJ
Waking up! No, not really; mornings are my best timeJ
7. My favorite medical TV show is:
Grey’s Anatomy, b/c it doesn’t deal with anything really medical. I like to watch HOUSE once, but it lost my respect when it said Lyme was never present without a rash.
Grey’s Anatomy, b/c it doesn’t deal with anything really medical. I like to watch HOUSE once, but it lost my respect when it said Lyme was never present without a rash.
8. A gadget I couldn’t live without is:
My iPhone – makes my life manageable. When I leave the house my brain shuts down and I’d never know what I was supposed to be doing without my iPhone.
My iPhone – makes my life manageable. When I leave the house my brain shuts down and I’d never know what I was supposed to be doing without my iPhone.
9. The hardest part about nights are:
Getting HOT!
Getting HOT!
10. Each day I take __ pills & vitamins.
I take 9 different meds; totally 11 pills daily and 1 injection three times a week
11. Regarding alternative treatments I:
have tried a lot; liquid vitamins, herbal antibiotics, acupuncture, etc.
have tried a lot; liquid vitamins, herbal antibiotics, acupuncture, etc.
12. If I had to choose between an invisible illness or visible I would choose:
I would choose one with an end – whether invisible or visible.
I would choose one with an end – whether invisible or visible.
13. Regarding working and career:
I loved my work when I was working, but it was too hard once. Now I love staying at home being the best mom I can be.
14. People would be surprised to know:
That I’m actually an extrovert!
That I’m actually an extrovert!
15. The hardest thing to accept about my (not-so-new) new reality has been:
Is that there is no end in sight …
16. Something I never thought I could do with my illness that I did was:
be a good mom.
17. The commercials about my illness:
There are no commercials about my illnesses
18. Something I really miss doing since I was diagnosed is:
Lots of things … all stemming from having enough energy. Enough energy to exercise without crashing, enough energy to just get up & go, being able to go anywhere at night that sort of thing.
19. It was really hard to have to give up:
My independence
20. A new hobby I have taken up since my diagnosis is:
Scrapbooking. I’ve become much more internalized and want to capture the memories! Plus, it’s a lazy, non-active hobby – I’ve never had one of those before!
21. If I could have one day of feeling normal again I would:
I would spend a day out on the town (museum, park, whatever) with my son & a night out with my hubby.
22. My illness has taught me:
That most of your friends aren’t really your friends, they just want what you can do for them. Once you can no longer ‘give’ to the relationship; it’s over.
23. Want to know a secret? One thing people say that gets under my skin is:
That they know what tired is – they have no idea. Chronic fatigue is tired in a way no one else can understand and is so much more than just fatigue.
24. But I love it when people:
People care anyway
25. My favorite motto, scripture, quote that gets me through tough times is:
God has a plan and while I may not understand it, it all fits together for His good.
God has a plan and while I may not understand it, it all fits together for His good.
26. When someone is diagnosed I’d like to tell them:
You are not alone and you can get through this!
You are not alone and you can get through this!
27. Something that has surprised me about living with an illness is:
to take advantage of the good times, remember them & cherish them; don’t let them pass you by and don’t get bogged down with the negative stuff.
to take advantage of the good times, remember them & cherish them; don’t let them pass you by and don’t get bogged down with the negative stuff.
28. The nicest thing someone did for me when I wasn’t feeling well was:
bring my family dinner
bring my family dinner
29. I’m involved with Invisible Illness Week because:
I live with it every day …
I live with it every day …
30. The fact that you read this list makes me feel:
LOVED
No comments:
Post a Comment