Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Full Chemical Attack

That sounds like a really bad 80's alternative band, but it's actually what I experienced last night.  I'm referring to MCS, Multiple Chemical Sensitivities.  I was supposed to go out for a girls night last night, hubby came home from work early and I kissed him and littleA and whisked out the door, excited.  There was no traffic and I arrived at my location just 15 minutes after I left the house.  I was a little early & in a great mood; looking forward to a night full of fellowship.  I parked myself on a bench to wait for the others to arrive and pulled out my phone, trolling facebook, twitter, & foursquare to kill some time.

After about 15 minutes I noticed it was really cold; I hadn't noticed it before (should have been my first clue, but it didn't register yet).  I walked out to my car to get a jacket and back into the restaurant.  Irritated that someone else was on the bench (another clue), I sat on another bench & began to play scrabble on my phone.  I was coming up with words left & right until my brain began to work more slowly & slowly.  Finally I was so irritated that I couldn't come up with even a 3-letter word that I switched games; one that didn't require thought.  I still hadn't put the irritation or the inability to concentrate together as a chemical reaction.  Then I started to get really cranky.  Had the girls change the location & not told me?  No, they wouldn't do that; others were meeting here too.  Did traffic suddenly get bad after I drove down?  Possible, I'll wait until 7:00 & see.  At 7:00, still no sign of them.  Now, I don't actually have anybody's phone number ... that would be too easy, wouldn't it?  So I sent an email from my phone.

As I walked back to my car I decided to run a quick errand while I'm on this side of town.  I noticed a faint head-ache and it started to come together -- there was something chemical in the restaurant to which I'm reacting!  No smells that I could identify, but chemicals don't always smell (smell is definitely NOT a good indicator).  My head felt a little spacey so I decided I'd just run my errand & head home.

I drove to the baby store (I was told by a local big bedding chain that their baby store carried kids bedding as well --- we are looking for bedding for littleA to move to a bid bed :D ), wandered around a little bewildered only to find out that they do not carry kids bedding; it is a baby store.  So I went next door to the big chain bedding store; they also do not carry kids bedding (once again they told me to go next door).  As I was blinded by the bright lights, I frustratingly walked to the car and couldn't find it.  There were only 4 cars in the parking lot.  It was right in front of me.  Full blown chemical attack in process!

As I started to drive I had trouble focusing my eyes.  Could I actually drive home like this?   I shook my head as if to clear the cobwebs & starting driving, but aside from my eyes focusing, my brain couldn't seem to stay on the road.  Other cars came out of nowhere!  I stopped and said a brief prayer for my safe drive home and headed that way; it's as if God took over as my co-pilot and before I knew it I was pulling into my driveway.

My car is a chemical free zone.  It's a 1999 that I've had for 9 years (bought used as a lease turned-in).  The leather seats are well-worn and rarely does anything offensive come in contact with it's interior.  Home is also a safe zone.  As soon as I walked in the door I was already starting to feel better, my headache eased up and I started to think more clearly.  I did eat & go straight to bed, but as I was falling asleep I did take notice that my brain fog was lifting.  Aaaaah.  Sweet relief.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

(((PJ))) What a horrible experience! Glad you made it home safely! Gosh, driving is always a risk for any pwc, but when something like this happens it's like playing Russian Roulette! Losing my ability/privilege of driving has been a huge fear of mine.
Judy

Renee said...

Oh, PJ
You had a really bad reaction, that's for sure...and I have learned the hard way that smell is not a reliable indicator of chemicals being around! They use another chemical to take out the smells.
I keep something called Tri-salts with me and if I start to get a reaction I put the amount instructed in water and drink it. Baking soda in water helps too...when you are exposed like tht your body/brain becomes acidic and the baking soda in water or trisalts make the body/brain alkaline again and it limits or takes away the affects of the exposure...
You might look into it?
Sure hope today you are back on track. For me an exposure like that would last 3 days....
Car wise, we bought a car that is one year old from our son, BUT after a few months I still cannot ride in it and think it will be another year or more....We hae our old van and use that for when I go with Joel places. For me it is the plastic and formaldehyde that causes me to not breath well, etc.
Take care.....Living with MCS is a daily challenge!!

Pamela said...

Judy, yes it is a little like Russian Roulette and pretty scary!

Renee, what a great idea! I keep potassium & sodium bicarbonate in pill form at home; I should keep some in my purse from now on.

We're going to need a new car soon & it scares me. My car is safe; how long will it take for a new car (even a new used car) to be safe? I didn't have that problem with this car b/c I wasn't sensitive at the time of purchase. Will def try to get leather seats again ... no fabric means less formadehyde - also a big problem for me! (fabric & bedding stores are the worst!)