Thursday, September 30, 2010

Lyme Update + Lyme Pregnancy Journal - week 10

I'm continuing to feel really well - just a few symptoms:  the classic tiredness, which I must say is very different from my usual CFS fatigue.  It's hard to explain, but it's more like a need to take a nap than a complete debilitation/inability to concentrate.  My naps have increased from about an hour a day to 2 or 3 hours a day, depending on how long littleA naps :)

I'm also having a stronger sense of smell so things that have always bothered me bother me even more.  (that something rotten in the fridge?  yeah, hubby's got to deal with that!)

I went to Texas this past weekend (solo!) and had some problems on the plane related to smells & chemicals.  I'm definitely more chemically sensitive as well, even though everything else seems to be lessened.  I spent all 4 flights with the hood of my sweatshirt over my nose b/c of cologne or smoker-smell, but I made it in one piece & had a lovely trip.

I had an appointment with my LLMD this morning - who was actually an OB/GYN in her previous medical history, so she had quite a bit of insight into my pregnancy.  She's been working with me for 4 years to get me to the point where she thought I would be able to carry a pregnancy so she was thrilled with the news!  She's keeping my meds & supplements the same:

  • Bicillin LA three times per week
  • Levoxyl (thyroid)
  • Glucophage (insulin resistance) until 12 weeks
  • aspirin 81 mg (for pregnancy)
  • prenatal
  • Folgard (folic acid)
  • Progesterone until 12 weeks
  • Enzymes -- keep taking, then only thing she changed was to have 3 different kinds and rotate one kind each month
  • Probiotics - resounding yes!  Helps the baby be more resistant to allergies - esp important given my history
  • vit D drops - continue
  • BiCarb (baking soda) - yes!  To lower acidic levels after exertion or MCS attack
  • HCL - as a supplement while eating to ensure good digestion


The only change she made was to my diet.  Of course she emphasized the importance of remaining gluten-free.  But since I'm allergic to almost everything, but have been able to eat most foods since I don't have a physical reaction to them she suggested that I rotate the foods, eating allergic ones no more than twice per week (& preferably not 2 days in a row).  This is in case I have a reaction that I'm not aware of -- a reaction somewhere in my body that doesn't manifest itself.  So, I made a chart & stuck it on the refrigerator so that I can track the foods: Almonds, Beef, Chicken, Corn, Dairy, Oats, Rice, Soy, & Tomatoes.

She put in a lab request for lots of blood work (she wants to keep close tabs on things) & I'll go back in 4 weeks - I had been going every 2 - 3 months.

Another change I need to make all on my own is to eat more meals & less snacking throughout the day.  This will enable me to take some of my meds at noon.  If I get any nausea it's usually in the evening (just as when I herx), which makes it nearly impossible to take a handful of supplements.  Taking them during the day will ensure that I can take them without stomach upset.

2 comments:

Shelli said...

What wonderful progress, and I agree, pregnancy fatigue is so different from CFS or Lyme fatigue. Enjoy the mystery of the journey. I'm happy for you.

Renee said...

it sounds like you are doing all you can and more and have such good care...AND that all is going well! Wonderful!!