Monday, April 2, 2012

Quotation Inspiration - HAWMC Day 2


I thank God for my handicaps, for through them, I have found myself, my work, and my God.
- Helen Keller


I was originally going to write on my favorite quote by Albert Einstein, but then I outdid myself for a week, needing some time to recover & it brought me back to my present.  As I was resting I thought that I should instead, write on limitations.  As I was browsing for quotes this one popped out at me!  How many times have we all said that sometimes our limitations are a blessing in disguise -- how we've learned to prioritize what's important, appreciate the little things, and enjoy life every day?!?  I've read several posts by my fellow spoonies on that very subject.

Helen Keller was such a profound lady - I just love her zest for life, how she didn't feel sorry for herself, her fortitude.  I think I, too, have found myself a bit more through these diseases.  I've come to accept parts of me that I thought needed to change, realized that God made me just as I am for a reason.  I've realized that I need to focus on His will for my life -- His agenda & forget about what I want and what the world wants.  What the world wants is to ignore any kind of weakness.  What I want is to be accepted, weaknesses and all.  What God wants is for me to focus on Him.  I've posted before that I don't think God gave me this illness, but rather he uses it to draw me closer to Him.  Helen Keller also found God through her handicaps. 

So, I've found myself, I've found more of God.  What about work?  I think, too, this illness has brought me closer to my work.  Which is being a mom to my kids.  If I weren't declared 'disabled' and unable to work, I'd prob be a working mom.  Sometimes I resent that fact that I have to stay home.  Especially when working moms get so much sympathy & help and folks think I don't need it just because I stay at home.  But through this, through being forced to stay home I have found my calling.  When I was younger, all I wanted was to be a stay-at-home mom.  I waited a long time.  But in the process, I engrossed myself in my work and excelled at it.  Doing so shifted my focus to where I begin to think that I'd keep working, at least part-time, when I had kids.  Getting sick forced me back to my original desire of staying home with my kids.  I may be forced to do so by the shear fact that I can't work, but I'm so lucky that I get to see them every day!  It may be harder than hard, especially on days when I'm not feeling well and don't have much help, but even if I'm sitting on the couch I get to watch them grow & learn, & discover.  Almost anything is work that!

So I do thank God for my shortcomings.  They have forced me to find & accept myself, find & trust God, and stay true to my most important work!

1 comment:

Renee said...

Excellent, PJ. Well said for all of us.