Well, I'm slowly recovering from our quick trip to TX for Easter. Strange how it takes longer to recover from a trip than the actual trip! We were gone for 5 days (counting travel days) & have been home for 5 days and I just feel like I'm catching up -- catching up on my energy that is; now I can tackle the loooong & growing list of things to catch-up the household (i.e. returning phone calls, laundry, etc.)
The good news is I unpacked all my scrapbooking stuff so I am rediscovering an old hobby! I was always creative as a kid and loved craft projects. I started scrapbooking in college before it was cool - I didn't know much about it and didn't know anyone so I just forged my own way. Then it got lost as I pursued more active interests. It was only time before it made it's way back in to my life -- I've been hankering for it lately; started collecting supplies, paper, etc. So, I finally set up a designated space (table) & pulled out my stuff. The more I scrapped, the more I realized I needed my photos to be more organized, so I spent a good amount of time on the computer cataloging photos from 2009 (I'm starting with a book for 2009) & now I'm ready to go! Have 5 pages already done and it's fun to relive pieces of Adam's growing up & good to get those memories captured! He has so many cute sayings that I don't want to let them slip me by! When I finish the 2009 book, I'll go back & make one for 2008 (don't want to miss out on documenting those first 6 months with Adam), then I can be caught up and work on 2010. The good news is with my photos organized, I can now share more of them with you!
The other hobby I'm recapturing is music. I've always loved music. Started taking piano lessons when I was five and really took to it. Then I dropped piano to pursue the flute in jr high, high school & college. Loved playing the flute and have many medals, but always felt like I was missing out on something by stopping piano. As an adult, I wanted to take up guitar (easier to cart around when you move a lot), but I never did get one -- well, now I'm dong both! My grandmother sent out my great-grandparent's baby grand piano from TX and my dad gave me his old guitar, so I'm taking lessons from someone in the neighborhood and while I don't get to practice much (littleA grabs my hands & pulls them off the piano (or guitar) and says, "no mommy music," I am remembering a lot & even learning some new stuff. It's really fun! Who knew sedentary activities could be so much fun :) tee hee.
So, those are my outlets for remaining myself (albeit my changed self, but at least some part of me) -- and not just being sick girl, mom & wife.
1 comment:
How wonderful! I can really relate to your struggles to recover from your trip. I'm there now, badly crashed, with so much to do hanging over me! I still haven't read those 400 e-mails...
I love hearing your excitement over your refound hobbies! That's great. I feel like I have too many to-dos right now and not enough time for fun stuff.
My son plays drums for school but really wants to learn piano now. He figured out that the notes on the xylophone are the same as the notes on our electronic keyboard and has been teaching himself songs! He has my husband's natural musical talent to hear a song and just sit down and play it on the keyboard (I have no musical talent!).
Enjoy!!
Sue
Post a Comment