Thursday, April 1, 2010

Update on Napping

So I think I have this napping thing finally figured out, thanks to a lot of tips from my fellow bloggers!

  • Eye Mask
  • Socks
  • Relaxation Sounds
  • Patience

Sue, the socks are really key!!!  I was already using an eye mask & relaxation music, but adding the socks makes all the difference in the world!  I'll almost always fall asleep with enough patience (the other piece of the equation).  If I don't fall asleep, at least I'm resting, my eyes are covered so I can't look around the room and think about all the laundry that needs to be done (or the floor that needs to be mopped or whatever).  And, I've given myself permission to forget whatever to-do's I think of while I'm laying there -- trying to remember them will definitely keep me from falling asleep.  I figure either I'll remember them later or I won't & hopefully they weren't that important anyway.

Shelli, letting my body guide how long to stay there is good.  With patience I can really relax and gauge how long I need to rest (now sometimes extenuating circumstances, like a little boy, take over, but for the most part .... )

Interestingly, these naps help my happiness, too!

3 comments:

Renee said...

Great news PJ! So glad you are doing well in the nap department...

Kerry said...

Love the practical 4 steps to a good nap PJ. And, yes! Socks--they're key!

Love the "boy takeover"--making napping definitely problematic!

I need to nap more (I fight it...want to stay awake...like a kid fighting a nap, no matter how exhausted I am) Thank you for practical, help you nap, advise.

Happy napping PJ!

Sue Jackson said...

Hurray! So glad your naps are going better now. Yes, socks are key - I read that somewhere, about warm feet, and have been doing it ever since. We'll see what happens when it's summer and hot out...

Like you, I just lie there even if I can't fall asleep and tell myself just lying still and resting helps. Sometimes, just thinking that takes the pressure off and I actually do fall asleep. I'm in that paradoxical state today where I feel really bad and need more rest but had trouble falling asleep, even though I spent much of the day in bed.

Glad it's working for you!

Sue