Monday, January 31, 2011

Cleaning House - the healthful way

After my posts on non-toxic, chemical-free living I've received a few questions on cleaning products.  Below is the list I of products I recommend based upon research & availability (I can get all these products at my local Target or Wal-Mart)



Whenever possible I use a microfiber cloth & water (they make microfiber cloths specifically for glass, granite, stainless steel, dusting, etc.)

When I need to scrub, I use:
  • baking soda
  • lemon juice
  • vinegar
  • Liquid Castile Soap
(baking soda & vinegar together make a good scour agent, 
lemon juice is a good whitener, 
vinegar also has good antibacterial properties, 
castile soap mixes with vinegar/lemon juice & water when a little suds is needed)

For those who don't want to make their own products or just prefer the concept of brand name products, the following are all non-toxic and fragrance free.
  • Method multi-surface wipes, free of dyes & perfumes
  • Method multi-surface cleaner, free of dyes & perfumes
  • Seventh Generation Free & Clear Natural All-Purpose Cleaner
  • Seventh Generation Free & Clear Natural Glass & Surface Cleaner
  • Seventh Generation Free & Clear Natural Multi-Surface Concentrated Cleaner

Dishes:
  • Seventh Generation Free & Clear Dish Liquid
  • Method Smarty Dish dishwasher detergent tabs
  • Seventh Generation Free & Clear Automatic dishwasher detergent pacs

Hands:
  • Seventh Generation Just Clean liquid hand soap
  • Method Go Naked free of dyes & perfumes liquid hand soap

Laundry:
  • Seventh Generation Free & Clear Laundry Detergent
  • Method Free & Clear Laundry Detergent
  • Mrs Myers Clean Day Scent Free Laundry Detergent
  • OxyClean FREE stain remover
  • baking soda or vinegar for fabric softening
  • Method Squeaky Green Free + Clear Dryer Cloths

1 comment:

Renee said...

I have not heard of the Method cleaners/soaps before so I am going to look into those. We use a lot of Seventh Generation products....Thanks PJ!