I went for my Igenix test yesterday. I've been here a few times before - usually my doc send me straight to their clinic since it's only a few miles from her office. Now this lab isn't like a regular LabCorp or LabQuest - they're more a lab that studies Lyme and tick-borne illnesses, than a lab that collects blood all day. You walk up & ring the door bell, someone answers & has you wait in the lobby while he sees is a phlebotomist is in. Meanwhile, you fill out some paperwork & look around at all the research on Lyme Disease. One of the papers they have you fill out asks if you are considered a "difficult stick," because if they stick you more than 3 times they'll send you to another clinic. I find this hilarious! Then I wonder if they added this particular policy because of me and the last two times I was here, but decide that all Lyme patients must have some issues.
You see, the last time I was here they had such a hard time that they used my hand! It swelled up afterwards from knuckles to elbow and I couldn't use it for days! The previous time they had to call for a manager to come after they'd mutilated both my arms trying to get a vein. Now I'm not just a "difficult stick" at Igenix, it's not unusual for phlebotomists to have trouble finding a vein. The funny thing is the ones who do get it, usually get it first try. Then they all say, "yeah, you're not that hard. Your veins are just really deep."
So I sat in the lobby and prayed that today would be a better experience. I drank several quarts of water throughout the day preceding the blood draw, so I was hopeful ... The phlebotomist appeared & I didn't recognize her from my previous visits. (smile!) As I sat down and she tournequetted my arm, she immediately said, "I can feel it right here. It's deep but it's right here." (huge sigh of relief) She pointed at a stick mark from my last tests elsewhere a few weeks ago - that's right where she'd need to go again and in she went! One time, 2 tubes and I was out of there.
So, now we wait. Two weeks for the results to be sent to my doctor, another few for her to send them to me.
1 comment:
Wow, you live near Igenex? How cool!
You are on the right track - tons of fluids ahead of time really helps. My son was getting weekly saline IVs for a while. It always went really easy when he'd had all his Gatorade that day (typically 2-3 liters a day!) and the one day he'd been home sick and hadn't had as much to drink, they had trouble. Try a V-8 juice plus some water right before - the salt will help, too.
Your story reminded me of a friend - her son ALWAYS faints when they draw blood - every time! So, this last time, he passed out, they were having trouble bringing him around and she was standing next to him holding his hand...and she passed out, too!! lol She came to on the ground! Luckily, they had 2 phlebotomists on hand - one to catch each of them!
Glad your blood draw went well today!
Sue
Post a Comment