I made brownies today (yes, gluten-free!), so I thought I'd share my recipe with you. I've done a lot of experimenting and these are by far my favorite & ironically I adapted it from my mom's recipe. One weekend, I made 5 batches of different recipes of brownies and did a side-by-side comparison and these were, by far, our favorite.
Standard Recipe:
1 stick butter, melted
1/2 cup flour
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup cocoa
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup nuts (optional)
Sift flour, sugar & cocoa. Add rest of ingredients, stir & pour into greased 8" square pan. Bake at 325 degrees for 30-35 minutes.
For the flour, in this particular recipe I use Bob's Red Mill All-Purpose Gluten-Free flour. It's a sorghum-based mix that I think works the best for this recipe.
This recipe allows for modification easily! Add coconut, chocolate chips, frost them or whatever suits your fancy. Once I added dark chocolate chunks (you know, the small flat kinds, not the chips) and frosted with dark chocolate ganache to take to a party. At least 12 people must have asked me for the recipe. Today I added 1/4 tsp instant espresso powder. If you like thicker brownies, you might make a double-batch; that would be really yummy & fudgy!
The only thing this doesn't really adapt to well is alternative sugar (i.e. agave nectar) since the granulated sugar and the cocoa add some of the flour-like texture and there's not a lot of liquid to reduce (since when replacing sugar with agave, the liquid needs to be reduced to account for the added moisture)
No comments:
Post a Comment