Friday, January 29, 2010

Sign of the Times

Like everybody we are tightening our belt these days.  It started back in September when I quit my job, which is the SINGLE most contributing factor to my increased health, I have no doubt.  Folks without CFS can't quite grasp how working part-time (15-20 hours per week) can take such a toll, but I tell you that I have no reservations that it was affecting my health. Not just from time perspective, but from a mental energy standpoint as well.  The amount of brain space it took just to keep put with the basics, the stress about how I should spend my time (resting or working), and the general energy drain all kept my health at a low status and quitting immediately sprang health benefits.

However, quitting also greatly diminished our monthly income.  Now that we just settled with the insurance company, my hubby & I came up with a monthly budget that will draw that settlement out, essentially enabling me to stay home for at least 2 more years.  This monthly amount is for all household expenses, not including the mortgage, insurance, taxes, utilities and other recurring bills -- so basically groceries, clothes, household items, etc.  The disposable income, so to speak.  Every $ we spend over the monthly amount decreases the amount of time I can stay home and enjoy this better health.  Well, for January we went over by 50%!!!!  We had a few beyond normal expenses (like some medical tests) that account for more than the overage and I'm hoping that we get some of this back from insurance & FSA.  That will truly help!  In fact, groceries were only 10% and eating out/Starbucks was less than 1% so I feel good about those numbers and don't see a lot I can do about the medical expenses but try to limit everything else.

It's a sign of the times.  Everyone I know is watching their money in some fashion these days, but I'm anxious ... I don't want to go back to being THAT sick b/c I need to go back to work, so I must find a way to keep the monthly expenses down - even if it means no more construction on the house!

5 comments:

Renee said...

This really speaks to me PJ. Joel is working 15-20 hrs a week and it has set back his ability to heal. It takes a toll on him mentally and physically. We worry about being able to make it with thousands in out of pocket medical for Lyme treatment....so I am doing what you mentioned...looking at where we can tighten our belt, let go of extras, and make it work so Joel can get the level of health needed and maintained.
I guess today I feel like God is speaking through your words, and I am putting it at the top of my prayer list for Joel to come to this conclusion too..
God bless you in your endeavor..

Pamela said...

Renee~
I'll pray with you; it's a hard decision. I imagine especially for a man who's the provider! It's hard to cut back, especially with the cost of medical treatments, but I strongly believe that it has helped me tremendously and will help Joel, too. It's the mental exertion that's hard to quantify that really takes its toll. God bless whatever decision is best for your family; I'm right here praying with you.

Kim Fernando said...

Hi PJ,
So glad to have found your blog. I've been reading for a couple weeks now, and I really wanted to comment today since this is a topic that's near and dear to me.

I definitely agree that work has such a major effect on our overall health. I was working all through my Lyme treatment, and it was really hard. On the plus side, I had great benefits and an income coming in. But on the downside, I saw a clear correlation between the stress and the high demands in my job and my overall health. I think it's hard for people to understand how even a conference call can be too much stress when we're trying to heal.

I just finished my Lyme treatment, and I'm trying to be extra careful to stay "at peace" when I'm at the office and to remember to focus only on meeting God's expectations and not all the expectations of people in the workplace. I know that it'll be a big step for me in staying healthy after treatment.

Best of luck to you and your family as you guys work with your new budget. I'm doing the same right now, but I'm still learning how to plan for the unplanned expenses that pop up. We're only one month in though, so we have 11 more months to continue to perfect it. Here's to a budget friendly 2010!

kim
http://walletfriendlywellness.wordpress.com

Pamela said...

Kim,
Thanks so much for stopping by! Learning to keep our eyes on God's expectations instead of others is such an important lesson! Good luck perfecting your budget over 2010; we'll have to share how it's going :)

Sue Jackson said...

I know exactly what you mean, Pam. I used to work as a chemical engineer, and the loss of my income has been a big adjustment for us! I actually left my job voluntarily before CFS to slow our lives down and spend more time with the kids (I used to travel a lot), but our plan was for me to go back to work after 18 months...but CFS hit.

Anyway, we feel like we're constantly struggling. We don't have any insurance or disability (it'd be hard to prove for me since I left my job before I got sick!)

Our health insurance changed Jan 1, from no deductible to a $1000 deductible! And at a time of year when we're usually a bit short on cash - not sure how we'll do this. Our medical expenses just keeping going up!

Anyway, I'm just trying to say that I understand. I got an offer today to get back into consulting work, but most of it would be physically impossible at this point. We definitely have to do what's best for our health.

Sue