Friday, May 14, 2010

Getting into a Rhythm

Back to reality means cereal for dinner.  Yes, I had cereal for dinner last night.  My hubby had popcorn.  I haven't cooked an evening meal in over a month.  I asked littleA if he wanted cereal for breakfast this morning and he ran away yelling "noooo!"  See, we've been living on cereal & popcorn for a month!  Thank goodness for gluten free toaster waffles this morning!  :)  I actually do better at feeding littleA than I do for my hubby and me - I make sure he gets some already cooked rotisserie chicken or tofu & veggies.  Plus he loves fruit.  Nevertheless, it was probably good that he spent a few days with the grandparents and ate a bit more variety.  But for us ... well.............. that's a different story, except it was good for us to get away and eat 'real' meals and variety, too!  Restaurant variety :)


I've been working on getting back into a rhythm since my crash 3 weeks ago, but it's just not happening.  I'm starting to wonder if this is a relapse or a crash?  Taking a mini-vacation was helpful -- the whole point was to relax and I came back really refreshed.  But walking into our house brought back the stark reality:  Not only have we been living on cereal & popcorn for a month, but we are all completely out of clean clothes! In time, I tell myself .... in time... 


I will say, this is when I wish I had a strong support network.  A support of friends who could bring meals or spend an afternoon doing a couple of loads of laundry, but alas I made that bed when I moved away from home. I know I'll recover eventually and we'll be back to eating real food  :)  And I certainly don't have the energy to make or maintain friendships (that's a post that's been brewing for a while so more to come), but for now I relish that I got to take 2 naps a day while we were away.  And that we finally finished the dishes from the birthday party before we left (never-mind that we came home to the dishes from the muffins I made for mother's day - mornings are better than evenings).


All part of it.  I know.  All part of it and we all go through it :)  I just keep reminding myself that God has a plan.  God has a purpose.  And it doesn't involve having enough energy to cook for my family and keep them in clean clothes.  It involves raising strong moral children who contribute to society.   It involves spending time with my husband.  It involves choosing to use my limited energy to raise my kids & be a family.  That's my focus these days.  And, it brings me great joy!






ps - I can't wait to get back to our Happiness Challenge in June!  There's just so much going on in May that it had to take a hiatus.

8 comments:

Shelli said...

Oh, I hear you! Meals are a challenge around here, too, although it seriously helps that my kids are all old enough to cook (even the 8 year old can heat a can of soup). One thing I've been doing lately is freezer meals. I choose a couple of meals that freeze well and then make triple the recipe (or have the kids triple the recipe), eating one for dinner and freezing the other two. I know that's not helpful for you right now in the middle of a crash, but it's something you may want to look into. I have recipes on my recipe blog (The Flagging Chef, on my sidebar) -- you'll have to see if you can tweak them to make them gluten free.

I so hope you are "just" having a bad crash and not a relapse. It's hard to lose more functionality each time. I hope you bounce back soon.

Pamela said...

Thanks Shelli! It somehow just helps knowing someone understands and doesn't judge me for letting my family wear dirty clothes :)

I've thought about freezer meals -- when I get to where I can cook a meal, I'll definitely check our some of your recipes and freeze some batches for next time!

Renee said...

My hubby wants to know where you get gluten free toaster waffles! He needs some variety..me too!

We have frozen meals also..One thing that we are going to do now is divide up the turkey burger....freeze individual patties and then it will be quicker to fix them...We often fix a meal and it lasts us for 4-5 BUT that is not good either because of allergies...if you eat too much of one thing you can become reactive to it. Cereal for supper??? I am glad we are not the only ones!!!!!! Eggs are a staple here too..

Anonymous said...

Hi PJ ~

I resonate with your post! I don't know how long you have been ill, but with time and determination, I think it can become more manageable. Little by little by little I have learned to eat healthier, and that includes quick fixes. It also helps that my girls are teens now and can "scrounge for dinner" whenever I ask them to!
OMG, I feel for you when you are finally able to tackle all that laundry! That can get better too...

Oh, please check out the Let Your Voice Be Heard Through Virtual Lobby Day 2010 link I posted at my Blog!

Judy

Sue Jackson said...

Wow, great attitude, PJ!

I've been much the same way - totally snowed under and overwhelmed by a backlog of everything. Much of it is from my 6-month long relapse this winter, but some of it is from our 10-day spring break trip. I just today finally finished going through over 200 unread e-mails from a month ago!! Baby steps...

As for food, have your hubby pick up a bunch of stuff from the freezer section at Trader Joe's - that's what we live on when I'm too sick to cook. They have lots of gluten-free stuff, too.

Sue

P.S. Did you know there's a book called Cereal for Dinner, written by a chronically ill mom? I keep meaning to look for it but haven;t read it yet.

Renee - I LIVE on eggs! And Trader Joe's sells gluten-free toaster waffles - do you have TJ's out there?

Pamela said...

Thanks guys for all the support and ideas! I definitely need to get a larger freezer & start loading up on some meals.

Sue, I can't wait to check out that book; I'll let you know :)

Renee, I get Van's Blueberry Gluten Free Waffles right from the regular grocery store with the other frozen waffles. Both littleA and I love them :)

Judy, thanks for stopping by. I can't wait to check out your blog! I love to have the support & ideas of others who understand. Not sure how I'd get through this without all my blogger friends .

Heather said...

(ahem): Pamela my dear friend, why in the heck haven't I been reading your blog regularly? I would sure love to bring you some food or fold some clothes for you. I think I will be calling you soon... Oh, and in regards to another post, I have to say that I CAN tell that you are an extrovert, even though I've only known you since you've been sick. I see it in the sparkle of your eyes.

Pamela said...

Heather, you are so sweet! I'm MUCH better now. I find when I most need the help is when I'm unable to ask for it ... strange I know. We did get a big freezer so I'm going to stock up on some freezer meals -- that'll be a BIG help :)